[Emerging-Sigs] Emerging Threats Sells Out!!!

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:45:18 EDT 2010

I'm late to the party on this comment train, but I do have a few
comments to share.

It's clear to me that there are both pros and cons to this move from
my perspective, (that of an avid ET user but also a VRT subscriber).
There is one big pro that I can see in this, and that is if the Telus
intel is comparable to what VRT is getting from MAPP, and the ET Pro
sigs are GID 1, not GID 3, then this is a huge win for the community.
As a user of the GID 3, I have to say that I am thoroughly
underwhelmed.  The sigs end up being almost entirely useless because I
have no idea why they do or do not hit.  Add on top of that the fact
that I cannot even get them to run without segfaulting on most CentOS
4 x86_64 and RHEL 4/5 x86_64 with Endace DAG, and it becomes clear
that it's not worth the money.  Sourcefire should also note that the
major reason we choose Sourcefire over their competitors has in the
past been that open signatures allow for proper incident response and
investigation, whereas closed signatures do not (such as alerts from
Cisco, Symantec, et al.).  In short, the one thing that has set
Sourcefire apart from its competitors is rapidly eroding.

Enter ET Pro/OISF, which seems to be positioning itself to be
completely Sourcefire independent.  I wish I thought this was a bad
thing, but honestly, we are just not getting the value of out SF the
way we did 3-4 years ago, so I think this competition is healthy and
needed.

That said, there is a large con to the situation here, and that is
that the mission statement has now officially changed from "help the
community" to "make money, then help the community."  If that's not
the case, then you are a non-profit, not a business.  The first order
of any business is to make money.  I don't think it's unfair or
immoral to make money, I just get annoyed when companies insinuate
that there is different top priority.  This is applicable because we
all know that at some point, there will be a situation in which the
good of the community comes after the good of the paying customer.  If
I were a paying customer, I'd certainly be offended to hear otherwise.
 This is a huge shift, and though it may not end up hurting the
community, it could.

I would like to recognize Matt (and many of you) here for the work
he's done thus far.  When you do work for free, it becomes more and
more awkward because there's no written SLA or time/money trade-off to
guide you when figuring out how much effort you're willing to donate.
I've certainly benefited over the years from ET's work without paying
for the service, and I am appreciative of that.  ET Pro will allow
Matt et al. to be up front with expectations and costs, which I think
is an inevitable milestone of any successful project.

So, here's what it will come down to for FY12 procurement in my org:
If ET Pro is anywhere near the pricing for VRT, we will be dropping
VRT in favor of ET Pro as long as VRT continues with GID 3.  Honestly,
though, I don't expect Sourcefire to be selling VRT sigs within a year
or two as they move more and more towards appliance offerings, and are
ultimately bought out shortly thereafter by, oh, let's say Cisco.  I
would love it if Razorback changes all of this, but it's got a long
way to go, and it needs some serious community support to develop
plugins, and it will have to compete with Suricata for that community
time.  But that's what happens when you court stockholders instead of
security analysts (beware, ET Pro!).

--Martin