[Emerging-Sigs] Suspect Digital Alpha UA...

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Sat Oct 2 15:44:55 EDT 2010

On 10/2/2010 12:40, Martin Holste wrote:
> I think this sig, as well as other sigs for super-old platforms will
> be valuable not only for spotting fake UA's, but also for alerting
> admins to boxes that have been forgotten about for thousands of years
> (ok, maybe thousands of days).

agreed... i don't know if i made it known in my first post in this thread but i
found this UA /because/ it was being used to consistently try to beat a path
into my forums... it is pretty obvious that they're up to something when they
try to register the same name numerous times in a matter of seconds... even more
obvious when they do the register thing and then immediately attempt to post a
message within the same second or after only a few... *especially* on a forum
that requires confirmation and authentication :lol:

> What are the chances the box that is actually an Alpha is actually
> patched?

i dunno... i've thought about possibly hunting one down... it might make a nice
friend for the System36 that over here holding up one end of this custom
desk/workbench ;)

there's also the question of what are the chances that the box is really an
Alpha? one person has responded that they do have an Alpha but it is running a
different OS which was one consideration i had for leaving the entire UA string
in the rules that i posted :)

> I would personally welcome more sigs like this for a poor-man's network
> discovery tool. They would obviously need some thresholding and maybe
> should be disabled by default, but I can definitely see how they could
> be useful.

i figure since they are helpful to me, they should be helpful to others as
well... as i find these UAs that are consistently doing activities like
described above, i research them to try to determine if creating a UA sig is
worth it or if it is too common a UA and one that is still in widespread use
performing normal browsing activities... stopping forum spammers based simply on
UA is only going to work for so long, though...