[Emerging-Sigs] GPL SID Change (was The New Rulesets are Ready!!)

Mike Lococo mikelococo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 10:31:41 EDT 2010

On 10/14/2010 04:38 AM, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
> Appreciate your thoughts Mike. We could set up an etpro-nogpl, but
> running those in parallel will be complete duplication, plus what pro does.

etpro-nogpl would be better than nothing, although it's still not as
flexible as simply fixing the sids since it continues to be difficult to
do any parallel testing of the GPL rules themselves or to pick and
choose between them.

I think the bigger issue here is the apparent willingness to introduce
incompatibilities between the rulesets.  While I know your stated intent
is to eclipse the VRT with a better product, and I wish you the best
fortunes in that venture, it's long been the practice at ET not to
sid-conflict with another major rules-project.  That shouldn't change
with etpro, it's the Right Thing (tm) and it puts end-users in the
drivers-seat with regard to rule-selection.  Already Jason, Kevin,
Waldo, myself (and Joel, if he counts) have participated in discussion
about workarounds for this issue... and while they're not
rocket-science, they're not obvious even to experienced snorters like us
and the rule-processing tools need updates to gracefully handle the
situation.

I would feel much better with a commitment not to sid-conflict with
another major rules project (VRT or otherwise).

Cheers,
Mike