[Emerging-Sigs] Emerging Threats Sells Out!!!

Matthew Jonkman jonkman at emergingthreatspro.com
Mon Oct 25 18:52:59 EDT 2010

Hi Matan. Very good question.

We define a sensor as an OS. You can run many snort or suricata instances on one box, on one OS, and just be on for one license.

We think that's a reasonable way to go at it, especially when you have to run multiple versions of snort for the same traffic feed.

We're not extremely strict about it. Once you get to site licensing numbers (20+) we just agree on a reasonable price and go forward.

Matt

On Oct 24, 2010, at 10:19 AM, matan monitz wrote:

> hello
> can someone please clerify the meaning of "sensor" for licensing cost?
>
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Matthew Jonkman <jonkman at jonkmans.com> wrote:
> We are adding a full coverage premium subscription ruleset. So not really selling out I suppose, it's just us still. No outsiders... so we're kind of selling out to ourselves. If you have to sell out that's the way to do it I think!
>
> We are building a new ruleset, one that has full vulnerability coverage. We have a professional research team on full time now, and we've bought the Telus Security Labs feed (the guys that supply the entire industry with research, rules, and intel, the big brains!). This has allowed us to fill in the historical gaps in coverage of the open ET ruleset, and will assist us in keeping completely up to date with new vulnerabilities and new exploits as they happen.  http://www.emergingthreatspro.com
>
> But wait, there's more!!!
>
> What's the biggest security threat on your network, and every network these days? (besides your users)
>
> It's malware. I don't think there's any argument there, and that's why the ET ruleset has been so useful, because we all focus on malware. You don't get the malware coverage in the existing commercial rulesets because it just moves too quickly. And all the commercial rulesets are built for an appliance the same company sells, so adding more rules day after day doesn't make the appliance they also sell look good as it slows down. So the result: we have commercial rulesets with only minimal malware coverage, so we all use the ET ruleset to augment.
>
> So we're changing that, we're making THIS the one ruleset you need, not the one you add on to the others. We have the full time research team, we have the intelligence feeds, and we have enough coffee to keep the state of Washington awake for a year straight. We're on it! We've hired most of our researchers from the Emerging Threats Community (and we're still hiring, shoot me a resume if you want to play with us!). So it's the people you already know and trust. We've been doing this for 10 years now.
>
> We're JUST doing rules, not hardware. This is a major difference. You now have a CHOICE in what ruleset you use just like you choose the hardware that fits your needs.
>
> We're rebuilding and expanding the ET Sandnet that's been feeding us so much good intel over the years, and we're partnering with all the names you already know in the industry to share intel, samples, and more.
>
> But wait, there's more!!!
>
> We're publishing in many engine formats. One of the drivers to do this was to get a full coverage ruleset out there that could take advantage of the new capabilities of Suricata. It's pretty clear no one else is going to do that, so we're going to make it happen.

> [...]

Matthew Jonkman
Emergingthreats.net
Phone 765-807-8630
Fax 312-264-0205