[Emerging-Sigs] Snort 2.9 compatibility with ET rules?

Matthew Jonkman jonkman at emergingthreatspro.com
Fri Oct 29 23:30:29 EDT 2010

Hi Jun. I tried to answer you on the snort-users list but my email was suppressed I think.

Answers inline:

Yes, just a few hours ago we got 2.9 and 2.4 finished and published. Go to http://rules.emergingthreats.net/ and pick your platform and ruleset.

> 2.)  How can I download ET rulesets automatically similar to oinkmaster usage (with cron)???

Just like normal, pick the tarball you need and plug that into oink. It'll do the rest.

> I am able to download VRT rules and ET rules for Snort 2.8.6 via Oinkmaster (with cron), please see the following:
>
> sudo vi /usr/local/etc/oinkmaster.conf

> url = http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/a9393504xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdb292e/snortrules-snapshot-2860.tar.gz
> url = http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/snort-2.8.6/emerging.rules.tar.gz

> Also I noticed lots of duplicated SIDs during the update process, don't know why/how to fix.

I'm guessing you're running vrt and the open ruleset, but those both have the old GPL sigs in there, sids 3464 and lower. If you want to use VRT and ET you need to use the ET open-nogpl sigs. Those do not include the gpl snort sigs or the old community sigs.

That do it for you?

Matt

> Any information and help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards
>
> John
> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:09:31 -0400
> From: jason.weir at nhrs.org
> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Snort-users] URL to download VRT rules
>
> This is the oinkmaster url I use to get the ET ruleset
>
> url=http://rules.emergingthreats.net/open/snort-2.8.6/emerging.rules.tar.gz
> No oinkcode needed....  I can't answer you on the 2.9 compatibility you might as over on the et list..

> -J

Matthew Jonkman
Emergingthreats.net
Phone 765-807-8630